As some of you know, when Doug and I went for our pre-mission physicals, I decided on a "whim", which was nothing more than pure inspiration, to go to a friend of Doug's,Dr Daynes, rather than the guy I had been to for my last 2 or 3 physicals. He "just decided" to run a few extra tests, and found that I had a high level of Calcium in my blood. Not a good thing AT ALL. Subsequent testing showed that one of my parathyroid glands(no relationship to thyroid) glands was the cuplprit, and last Thurs I had it removed. My cute 5 yr old granddaughter, Maddie, wants to see my scar, so here it is in all it's glory. She thinks it would look better if her daddy had done the surgery! The interesting thing about all this is that I got my lab results from the old Dr. and discovered that my calcium levels had been high in previous tests as well. Had we not been "called' by our stake president to turn our papers in now, I would not have been going in for a physical any time soon, and when I did go would undoubtedly have gone back to the previous Dr out of convenience. Truly the hand of the Lord was in my decision to go to Randy(Dr Daynes, Doug's old friend), who picked up immediately on the calcium level and on the danger of having it continue. From what my endocrinologist tells me, it could have wrecked havoc will all kinds of organs including kidney damage, heart damage, ulcers and other stomach problems, high blood pressure,high cholestrol, depression, muscle problems, and obviously osteoporosis. Since Jas tells us how dangerous falls and broken bones are for people over 50ish, that alone was a biggie. I am very grateful to have had the problem diagnosed and taken care of so quickly. I just hope people don't think I tried to slit my throat when we find out where we will be spending the next 18 months to 2 years! Anyone besides Anya betting on Siberia? We are awaiting our mission call and will post it as soon as we get it! We are excited and kindof nervous, too. Mostly we are grateful to be able to have the opportunity to go out and serve, and share the glorious gospel with others.
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
tender mercies
As some of you know, when Doug and I went for our pre-mission physicals, I decided on a "whim", which was nothing more than pure inspiration, to go to a friend of Doug's,Dr Daynes, rather than the guy I had been to for my last 2 or 3 physicals. He "just decided" to run a few extra tests, and found that I had a high level of Calcium in my blood. Not a good thing AT ALL. Subsequent testing showed that one of my parathyroid glands(no relationship to thyroid) glands was the cuplprit, and last Thurs I had it removed. My cute 5 yr old granddaughter, Maddie, wants to see my scar, so here it is in all it's glory. She thinks it would look better if her daddy had done the surgery! The interesting thing about all this is that I got my lab results from the old Dr. and discovered that my calcium levels had been high in previous tests as well. Had we not been "called' by our stake president to turn our papers in now, I would not have been going in for a physical any time soon, and when I did go would undoubtedly have gone back to the previous Dr out of convenience. Truly the hand of the Lord was in my decision to go to Randy(Dr Daynes, Doug's old friend), who picked up immediately on the calcium level and on the danger of having it continue. From what my endocrinologist tells me, it could have wrecked havoc will all kinds of organs including kidney damage, heart damage, ulcers and other stomach problems, high blood pressure,high cholestrol, depression, muscle problems, and obviously osteoporosis. Since Jas tells us how dangerous falls and broken bones are for people over 50ish, that alone was a biggie. I am very grateful to have had the problem diagnosed and taken care of so quickly. I just hope people don't think I tried to slit my throat when we find out where we will be spending the next 18 months to 2 years! Anyone besides Anya betting on Siberia? We are awaiting our mission call and will post it as soon as we get it! We are excited and kindof nervous, too. Mostly we are grateful to be able to have the opportunity to go out and serve, and share the glorious gospel with others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Geri, that is awesome you guys are going on a mission. I can't wait to hear where you will be spending the next few years. It is so fun in the mystery stage. The possibilities are endless!
Please post where you end up going so we out-of-towners can hear too.
Happy to hear your calcium is regulated now.
So glad it all went well. Cant wait to hear where you're going. I'm going to place my bet with Cordoba. I know a guy down there! i think you'd like working with him!!
That is a beautiful scar! See you didn't just have a little minor surgery, someone cut your throat. Maybe you should stay away from excercising for a few weeks. What is this about 18 months to 2 years?! I thought it was only 18 months!
Ouch!!! I'm glad it was surgery and not a battle wound! I am so glad everything went well and I can't wait to hear where you are going! How about Boston?!!
Post a Comment